Tuesday, March 11, 2008

music soothes beasts. hip-hop soothes a healthy soul.

defined
music - 1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color
2. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound


I'm feeling pretty good, but I'm not doing so good. I'm sick, missing school, and not getting anythin done. But I'm in a good mood. I'm in that hakuna matata mood. Been home sik as fuck for the past couple of days doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Fuck it, two tears in a bucket. It made the week go by pretty quickly but dam i got werk to catch up on in school. Two tears and bucket. Maybe three? Thank you. I gotta get anti-biotics which makes me feel old cuz it's the first time i've needed them. I'm generally a healthy dude. No major illnesses, allergies, or injuries in my past. Maybe mental. They did think I had ADHD when I was little, come to find out that I was too smart for school. I went from a mental patient to gifted child. XD LMAO Anyway, like most people, music soothes my soul. I could be bleeding from 58 gunshots to the face, but I hear Nas, I'm feelin good like a blunt on a Saturday. I don't like to criticize music but music is based soley on opinion. I don't like Soulja Boy or country music, but somebody does. Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean it's horrible. It's just my taste. Me personally, I listen to anythin that sounds good. I'm picky about hip-hop, and a big rap critic. Rap, to me, is competitive hip-hop. So I guess that makes me a competitive hip-hop artist. Now, when I say I'm picky I mean I dislike hip-hop that makes no sense. Like when Plies says he's a goon and he lookin for a "bust-it baby" in EVERY FUCKING SONG!!! But I guess now a days you can sell things twice and rappers are all about money, not about their art. Ah, well. What can you do? However the line needs to be drawn somewhere. Now everywhere I look, someone wants to be a "Trapaholic" like Gucci, or a goon like Plies, or live a "Savage Life" like Boosie. This is the retarded impact that the music of today has on our society? And let's face it, music is a big part of society. Motherfuckers are all in Britney's and Micheal's life like its the most important thing on earth. I guess people are so bored with their own pathetic life that they gotta be in others? Anywho, competitive hip-hop artists of today are what I like to look at. Joe Budden (who is a motherfucking genius, by the way), Cassidy, Eminem, Ransom Dollars, Lloyd Banks. Just to name a few. Dudes who are getting there but not quite include Lil Wayne (sorry Weezy your too repetitive), Fabolous, J.R. Writer, Papoose are a couple.

A MutherFlukc'n Jeenyus





The only thing I like better than rap, however, is old-school rap.hip-hop. Back when it was art. It grinds my gears when people listen to songs now a days and I tell them that they got that from someone else, and people are like, no they didn't. Makes me wanna uppercut them. Fergie's "Fergalicious" came from JJ Fad's "Supersonic". Jay-Z has bitten lyrics, not music ideas, actual lyrics from Tupac, Biggie, Big L, Snoop Dogg. Tribe Called Quest, and many more. T.I.'s "Why You Wanna" chorus came from A Tribe Called Quest and listen to Crystal Waters' "Gypsy Woman" and tell me if you hear a similarity. "I Get Money" by 50 Cent was sampled from Audio Two's "Top Billin'". People are running out of ideas and rappers are running out of punchlines. They either repeat themselves, come out with something original but stupid (Soulja Boy, DJ Unk, Franchise Boyz, etc.), or rap about something recent.




This is why I'd rather listen to classic hip-hop. Even 80's stuff like Newcleus, Jungle Brothers, Afrika Bambaataa, Public Enemy, Cool and The Gang, Herbie Hancock, and Grandmaster Flash. Down to the 90's. Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Eric B. and Rakim, Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh, Special Ed, Leaders Of The New School, Ultramagnetic MCs, Too Short, Run DMC, Nas, Large Proffesor, Pharcyde, LL Cool J, Audio Two, Big Daddy Kane, 2 Live Crew, Tag Team, Naughty By Nature, Black Sheep, Biz Markie, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Children Of The Corn (Big L, Murda Mase, Killa Cam, Kid Capri, Kool G Rap), Fat Boys, Heavy D, GangStarr, Geto Boys, Kool Moe Dee, Beatnuts, Whodini, Sugar Hill Gang, Onyx, Rahzell (The best beatboxer in the world), Tone Loc, Rob Bass, and DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince just to name a few. LOL I loooove old school hip-hop. Can you tell? Hardcore or gangsta (w/e people call it) rap was at it's best when it first came out. Tupac, Biggie, Big L, Nas, Jay-Z, Party Arty, Cypress Hill, Wu-Tang Clan, Lox, Cormega, AZ, Lord Finesse, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Big Pun, N.W.A., Snoop Dogg, Mobb Deep, and of course Eminem in his eeaaaarly years which is much better than what he has been putting out recently.








Left: Midnight Marauders By A Tribe Called Quest, Right: Illmatic By Nas
Classic: This defines my taste in music. If I could sum up my taste in hip-hop, it would be with these two albums.



And now some "competitive" lyrics for a change.





Explodin with rage, holdin a gauge
Shit that can take ya "face-off" like Travolta and Cage
Split ya wig off, lookin like Britney, get hit swiftly
If these cows got beef, my cals is fifty
Niggaz know that I spit the better lines
Get rich off the whitegirl like Federline
Money on my mind, don't forget a dime
With that Tony Hawk hustle, cuz I shred n' grind
In a cypha I'll have ya hands up like a stick up
Herbz gettin Piston/pissed on while I get the Billups
If you battle me you'll choke like you got the hiccups
You know it takes more than a glass of water to get rid of
A vest? you needa protect ya neck like Wu-Tang
Flawless victory when im kickin it like Lui Keng
I'll finish you and the lame ass crew that you brang
Fatality is old, introduce em to new thangs???? eyedeekay

I'll work on this verse. I tried too hard. meh


"If the blind guides the blind, they will fall into a ditch."

-Kings Manifesto

No comments: